The Designer Spaces Challenge is one of our favourite Expo features and an incentive to give up-and-coming interior designers and decorators a chance to share their creations at the 2020 InHabit Johannesburg HOMEMAKERS Expo.
The theme for the 2020 Expo is appropriately themed; InHabit. We live in a world that is better connected than ever before. InHabit is about improving the way people live in their homes and how they connect with everything around them. The applications for 2020 have been rolling in. We have selected eight individuals to showcase their designs and décor skills at the Expo end of February.
The Designer Spaces Challenge is an opportunity for talented designers to showcase their products and designs at the 2020 Expo taking place at the Ticketpro Dome from 27 February to 1 March.
The concept behind the InHabit theme is to create a space in the home, inspired by our motherland – Africa. It should display the unique design style of our magical continent. Africa is trending in fashion, design, and architecture. The whole world is looking at us for true, authentic inspiration. The brief to designers was clear. Enrich your concept with an African flavour that serves as an inspiration to embrace our African roots. The idea is to bring these trends to life with the InHabit theme at heart. Designers could choose to re-create any room in the house. From cosy reading corners and unique workspaces to eccentric lounges and opulent bedrooms, the options were endless.
Designer Line Up
A few of 2020s participants include Mlondolozi Hempe, Amanda Mlombo and Cecilia Kapasula. HOMEMAKERS has been running a bi-weekly interview with each designer asking questions about trends and what creates the perfect environment to fully InHabit your home. Catch up with the designers and read about their inspirations and trend forecasts for 2020.
Mlondolozi Hempe is the founder of the design company Umongo, where his projects are an exploration of art through design and architecture. He carefully fuses these elements with his South African culture and childhood experiences. With a unique approach in combining contemporary elements in furniture with interior and architectural design, he believes that design is a “uniform language to be explored”.
Amanda Mlombo’s successful interior design company Blush Affluent specialises in interiors, homeware, furniture and consulting. Mlombo is known for her decluttering and organisational skills in design. The mother of two has travelled the world, which has, in turn, inspired her renovated and newly designed spaces.
House of Sweet Savannah
For the House of Sweet Savannah, Africa is at the centre of all design projects. Owner Cecilia Kapasula, says her design house is about adding a piece of Africa into your life. Through an array of vibrant, bold and bright decorative products, House of Sweet Savannah specialises in exclusivity with their custom-made items.
We recently asked Tasneem Sayanvala, our fourth Designer Spaces participant a few questions about design and what it means to be a successful interior designer. With a Diploma in Interior Design from the University of Johannesburg, her skills have allowed her to freelance and work for distinguished architecture firms in South Africa.
Living Room Style
The interior design and landscaping team from Living Room Style, along with their partner Wayne Brodie are known for their urban – boho renovation of the downtown Joburg rooftop into the iconic event venue and café, Living Room. Considered a “growing showroom” of their range of design and manufacturing expertise. The team offers design solutions that are turnkey and one-of-a-kind.
Erika Prinsloo Interiors
Erika Prinsloo is our sixth Designer Spaces participant who will take part in this creative HOMEMAKERS challenge. Prinsloo shares her insights into décor and design below in preparation for the upcoming Expo.
Pure Love Home
We had a chance to ask our seventh Designer Spaces team a few questions too. Divan and Charl Greeff from Pure Love Home is a dynamic duo to whom this year’s theme is no stranger. Fusing the contemporary, raw and uniquely African elements into a large part of their projects, makes them a stand-out team – one to look out for.
Follow HOMEMAKERS’ Designer Spaces Challenge stories and keep an eye out for more designer features.
Get your tickets for the 2020 InHabit Johannesburg HOMEMAKERS Expo here!
*VOTE and WIN!
Vote for your favourite designer and you stand a chance of winning R1000.00
HOMEMAKERS R1000 Designer Spaces GIVEAWAY
Thursday 27 February 2020 – Sunday 1 March 2020
Competition Rules and Terms and Conditions
1. This Promotional Competition (the “Competition”) is organised by HOMEMAKERS Expo, a division of HOMEMAKERS MEDIA HOLDINGS (the “Promoter”).
2. The Competition is open to Participants who are permanent residents and citizens of South Africa over the age of 18 (eighteen) years, in possession of a valid South African Identity Document.
3. Any employee, director, partner, agent or consultant and/or immediate family members of HOMEMAKERS MEDIA HOLDINGS, are not allowed to enter the Competition.
4. By entering the Competition, all Participants and Winners,agree to be bound by these rules as interpreted by the Promoter, whose decision regarding any dispute will be final and binding. HOMEMAKERS Expo reserves the right at any time without notice to amend, modify, or change these rules, and to postpone, suspend or cancel this Competition and any prizes (which have not yet been subject to a draw), or any aspect thereof, without notice at any time, for any reason we reasonably deem necessary.
5. The Competition commences on Thursday, 27 February 2020 at 10:00 and closes on Sunday, 1 March 2020 at 18:00, both days inclusive (“the Duration”).
6. Only visitors at the show can participate in the voting and qualify for the prize.
7. Winner will be announced on social media by Tuesday, 3 March 2020.
8. Prize money will be electronically transferred into the preferred account details that will be discussed with the Winner by no later than Friday, 6 March 2020.
9. Participants stand a chance to win R1000 cash.
How to Enter
10. To stand a chance of winning 1 (one) Prize, Participants must vote for their favourite designer in the Designer Spaces Challenge at the Johannesburg HOMEMAKERS Expo taking place at the Ticketpro Dome from 27 February to 1 March 2020 via the relevant Google form accessed through a QR Code.
11. HOMEMAKERS Expo will conduct a random draw from all the Entries received to determine the Winners in the following manner:
12. 1 (One) prize draw will take place during the duration of the Competition.
13. The Winner will be notified via the email particulars provided in the entry Google form. Should no response be received, within 48 hours, or if Winner is a minor the prize will be forfeited and another Winner will be drawn.
14. HOMEMAKERS Expo’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
15. Entries that are submitted via an incorrect entry mechanism, or contain errors, or are unclear or illegible, or are received from Disqualified Participants will be declared invalid.
16. In the event that a finalist is not contactable after 3 contact attempts then such finalist will forfeit their prize and different finalist will be randomly selected and the same process as described herein will be followed.
17. The Prize is neither transferable nor redeemable for any products or cash. HOMEMAKERS Expo reserves the right to substitute the Prize with any other prize of comparable commercial value.
18. No liability will be attached to HOMEMAKERS Expo in relation to any claims, losses or liabilities for any loss of profit or any other direct and/or indirect, special or consequential loss arising out of the Prize.
19. Should any dispute arise in relation to the interpretation of the Competition rules, HOMEMAKERS Expo’s decision shall be final and no correspondence shall be entered into.
20. HOMEMAKERS Expo may require the Winner to be identified, photographed and published in printed and/or social media, when accepting their prizes or after having received their Prize. HOMEMAKERS Expo may also use the uploaded images in whole or in part, and any reproductions thereof, worldwide for advertising, promotion, publicity or otherwise on any website for any media purpose and for any other lawful purpose whatsoever. The Winners will be given the opportunity to decline to the publication of their images and to participate in the Promoter’s marketing material in so far as it relates to the Competition.
21. By entering the Competition, the Participants agree that HOMEMAKERS MEDIA HOLDINGS and its affiliates (including the Promoter, agencies, subsidiaries and joint ventures) may contact the Participants via email and through social media platforms to deliver marketing communications regarding their products and promotional activities, provided that the Participants are given the opportunity to opt-out of receiving marketing communication at any time via the appropriate opt-out mechanisms provided by the Promoter for such purpose.
22. A copy of the Competition rules are available at no cost to the Participants and can be downloaded in printable form on the HOMEMAKERS Expo website (https://www.homemakersonline.co.za/expo/).