Pink, fluffy, soft and sweet, melt-in-your-mouth yumminess. These are the only words to describe this delectable Valentine’s Dessert.
What better way to celebrate the love between two partners than two spoons and one big serving of this Berry and Fig Ice Cream Cake by First Choice?
Mini Berry and Fig Ice Cream Cakes
Recipe by Christine Capendale.
Difficulty level: EASY
Prepping time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
Freezing time: Overnight preferably
500 ml FIRST CHOICE Strawberry Flavoured Velvet Dairy Dessert, chilled overnight
160 g raspberries
160 g fresh baby figs, cut into slices and quarters
160 g crushed ginger biscuits
70 ml FIRST CHOICE butter, melted
200 ml cream, whipped
18 mini meringues for serving
fresh mint for garnish
90 g egg whites
175 g castor sugar
5 ml lemon juice
- Mix the crushed biscuits and melted butter
- Lightly oil 6 X 8cm diameter pastry rings and place on a lined baking tray
- Divide the biscuit mixture between the 6 pastry rings
- Use the back of a spoon to press the biscuits firmly onto the bottom to make the crust
- Whip the chilled FIRST CHOICE strawberry velvet
- Use an electric beater on high speed for about 5 minutes to become light and airy
- Fold in two-thirds of the raspberries (you can half some of the raspberries)
- Also fold in two-thirds of the figs into the whipped strawberry velvet
- Spoon this mixture into the pastry rings and fill to the top
- Freeze overnight
TO MAKE THE MINI MERINGUES:
- Preheat the oven to 100°C and line a greased baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat the egg whites and lemon juice until stiff but not dry.
- Add the castor sugar gradually while whisking.
- Make sure the castor sugar is incorporated completely.
- Beat until very stiff and shiny.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Pipe small meringues.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Switch off the oven and leave the meringues inside, preferably overnight, until completely cool.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and leave it at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Lift the moulds and place on the serving plates – push down the ice cream onto the plates
- Top with whipped cream, the rest of the raspberries and figs and lastly add some mini meringues
- Optional to garnish with fresh mint
For more delicious recipes, visit our online gateway to fresh and tasty ideas at HOMEMAKERS.