These days, whatever you are looking for, the answer is usually already in your pocket. Whether it’s a fitness tracker, a logbook, an egg timer, or a sleep soother – your smartphone will probably have the solution in app format.
But what about lighting? What if you could manage your house lighting from your phone? We’re not talking just switching on and off. What if you could dim your lights without having to rewire your house? Do you need bright white light for an art project on the dining room table and a warm glowing light for dinner? This is the smart lighting era.
The Smart Lightbulb
There are various brands on the market, ranging in price and with different levels of connectivity. But mostly, they all have a couple of things in common:
1. Smart lightbulbs come in standard shapes and sizes and these lightbulbs and will fit most light fittings you already have in your house. ( No need to rewire!)
2. They offer a range of lighting controls, including different shades of white light and dimming ability without the need for a dimmer switch installation.
3. Most LED smart lightbulbs also offer a wide spectrum of coloured light choices, adding a bit of flair to accent lighting. Use them as part of your décor philosophy and make the most of your existing lamps.
4. There is a security bonus, as you can switch lights on remotely, or even link certain colours and types of lights to your smart alarm system. (Think flashing red lights to go with your alarm siren…)
5. You can control your smart lightbulbs directly from your phone, using one of a couple of different apps.
6. Being LED lightbulbs, they are energy efficient and using them for normal, everyday lighting won’t necessarily cost more than a standard bulb.