Sunflex: A Contemporary Choice
herefoFrameless glass will always complement any architectural style. It is modern and contemporary. This is why frameless glass is such a good, long-lasting investment for your home. With the natural beauty, which we are blessed with in South Africa, frameless systems allow for maximum appreciation of the surrounding views. It also offers year-round protection against the elements. We talked to Sunflex SA’s Tod Ralph to hear more about frameless class trends.
Sunflex SA was established in 2005 by Charles and Patrick Rostance in partnership with Sunflex, Germany. The company quickly took the local market by storm, facilitating the establishment of approved installers in all major cities in South Africa.
We sat down with Tod and caught up on everything that made Sunflex as unique and successful as they are.
The frameless glass industry is environmentally friendly. “The more glass, the fewer profiles involved, and the less manufacturing that needs to take place will always add to the sustainability of a product and is something we like to strive for”. Aluminium is also 100% recyclable. This ensures Sunflex SA’s carbon footprint remains pretty small.
Tod continues to say that in terms of powder coating in colouring, very little goes to waste. 98 per cent of the powder used in the coating process is utilised. The other 2 per cent is then used in greywater.
On the topic of colour, Tod continues that there are many colours to choose from – generally all falling within the general architectural range. There are approximately 18 standard colours to choose from. There are exceptions. A case in point is a project with chef Jackie Cameron where green profiles were the brief. The end result blended in so well with the surrounding environment. Matte-stone grey is also popular and lighter colouring makes it more earthy and trendy for contemporary homes and buildings.
Sunflex is known for its German engineering and like Tod says, “German engineering is respected in many industries. All working components are produced by SUNFLEX Germany. This provides systems of the highest standards. “German engineering strives to put out premium quality products that have longevity,” continues Tod.
We asked Tod what designs are truly unique. He said every system they install is customised and unique. Uniqueness comes when frameless systems tie in well with architectural styles. “We strive to complement and blend the style of a building with our systems. The result is an improved facade with increased appreciation and enjoyment of that treasured outdoor space “.
Sunflex SA will also be part of the HOMEMAKERS Cape Town Virtual Expo where visitors can experience the iconic HOMEMAKERS expo right from home. Tod added that they have realised how important online media is. Therefore, they can still show customers their product and share their brand virtually. “Ideas and projects can be hard to explain without tangible examples. We are adapting and have been productive during the various stages of lockdown both locally and internationally”.