Liziwe Mathloha, First Choice Brand Ambassador, shares three of her favourite recipes using her favourite First Choice products!
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Pasta
- 2-3 boneless chicken breasts thinly sliced
- ½ cup white onion chopped
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp First Choice Olive Oil, divided
- salt, pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup First Choice Cream
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups cooked macaroni to serve
- In a large heavy bottom pan heat 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter together at medium-high temperature.
- Season the thinly sliced chicken with salt and pepper.
- When the pan is hot, and the butter melted, fry chicken until browned and cooked about 2 minutes each side.
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan add 1 Tbsp oil and cook the onion until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add white wine to the pan and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add chicken stock and First Choice Cream. In a small bowl combine corn starch and water. Stir until starch is completely dissolved then add to the sauce.
- Bring to the boil and let simmer without a lid at high heat for about 2-3 minutes to reduce and thicken. Add cooked chicken back to the pan and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Stir in parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over pasta!
Umqusho – Traditional Samp
- 2 cups samp, washed
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) First Choice Butter
- 1 cup First Choice Crea
- Soak the samp in water overnight.
- Remove samp from soaking water.
- Add the samp to a heavy-based pot with water, bay leaf and stock powder and allow to cook
- slowly for about 90 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Stir in the salt, First Choice Butter and First Choice Cream as it begins to soften.
- Cook for a further 20 – 30 minutes on a low heat
- Serve with the meat of your choice or with beans.
First Choice Strawberry Velvet Dessert
Prep: 5 minutes
Setting time: 6hrs – overnight Serving: 6-8
- 2 packets of strawberry Jelly
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 packet Marie Biscuits
- 1.5 cup First Choice Strawberry Velvet Dessert
- For Topping (optional)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp castor sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tin canned peaches (drained)
- In a bowl empty the two packets of Jelly, add hot water and whisk to dissolve the jelly granules. Once dissolved add strawberry velvet dessert and mix it well.
- In a medium-sized dessert serving bowl lay and stack the Marie Biscuits, then pour the jelly mixture on top of the dessert, the Marie Biscuits will come up and float just push them back using a spoon so they can soak up some of the jelly mixtures.
- Place the dessert bowl in the fridge to set, at least 6 hours or overnight before serving.
- Once the dessert is set and ready to be served, whip the cream in a bowl, add castor sugar and vanilla halfway of beating, continue whipping the cream just until stiff. Place the cream in a piping bag and pipe over the dessert (this is optional, you can just spoon the cream over the dessert and smooth it out with a spatula). Place the canned peaches in the centre of the dessert.
- Spoon and serve in little dessert bowls, drizzle with extra of the velvet Dessert and serve with canned or fresh fruit.