Tommy Dickson’s Best Braai Recipes
In search of a new braai recipe? Braai expert, Tommy Dickson a.k.a. Chef Vaatjie from kykNET’s Toks en Tjops will be cooking up a storm at this year’s Pretoria HOMEMAKERS Expo to help you make your Braai Day sizzling hot. In the meantime, why not try any one of these tantalizing recipes from Tommy.
Steak with Mushroom Sauce
Salt & Pepper
BBQ spice Optional
4x table spoon olive oil
1x onion finely diced
2x table spoon oil
1x punnet mushrooms sliced
1tbl spoon flour
- Rub the steaks with oil and then spice it with the spices
- Prepare a direct fire; once coals are right do not spread it out too much keep majority coals centre based.
- Place steaks on the grill, sear by cooking them about 2 minutes per side.
- Fit the griddle pan; close the lid for 3 minutes to heat up the griddle pan.
- Add oil, and onions. Fry the onions till translucent.
- Add the mushrooms. Fry until the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the flour and mix through.
- Add the milk and let it boil.
- The flour will thicken it shortly, close the lid and leave for 5 to 10 minutes to cook the flour through the milk and round off the steak’s doneness.
Sweet Potato on the Grill
10x Sweet Potatoes
- Prepare an indirect fire and fit a foil pan between the coals. Prick the potatoes well. Wash the sweet potatoes. Place potatoes on the grill in the indirect position. Cook for 45-60 min. Remove potatoes from grill. Cut them open in the middle, add butter, salt and pepper in opening (brown sugar can be added to this mixture). Wait for butter to melt.
- Serve piping hot.
Pepper Crusted Steaks with Lemon Parsley Butter
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 teaspoon lemon Juice
1⁄4 teaspoon coarse salt
1 ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 Teaspoon Garlic flakes
4 Steaks about 240g 4cm thick
Extra virgin olive oil
- For the Butter, in a small bowl, combine the butter ingredients. Using the back of a fork, mash and stir until evenly distributed.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl mix the rub ingredients
- Prepare the braai for direct cooking over medium heat (180o-230oC)
- Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Lightly brush or spray both sides with oil.
- Season evenly with the rub.
- Grill over Direct High heat until cooked to your desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare, turning once. Transfer each Steak to a warm serving plate and place a tablespoon of the butter on top to melt.
- Serve warm, after allowing resting at least 5 minutes.
Stuffed Braai Mushrooms
400g packet braai mushrooms
250g cheese and onion crisps
200g grated cheese
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Lemon juice (optional)
- Crush chips in packet to make fine crumbs, mix margarine and seasonings to a smooth paste.
- Add crushed crisps to mixture and blend well.
- Spoon mixture into the mushroom caps and spread evenly place mushrooms stem up onto braai over a direct or indirect fire.
- Cook until stems are soft.
Chicken Breasts with Yoghurt-Cucumber Sauce
3/4 cup plain yoghurt
1/3 cup coarsely grated English cucumber (seedless)
1 tsp. Chicken seasoning
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
Extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp. Chicken seasoning
16 slices English cucumber
- Prepare a braai for direct medium cooking
- In a small bowl mix the sauce ingredients.
- Lightly coat the chicken on both sides with oil. Sprinkle evenly with the seasoning, pressing the spices into the meat. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the chicken over direct medium heat (180° to 230°C), with the lid closed as much as possible, until the meat is firm to the touch and no longer pink in the centre, 8 to 12 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill and serve warm with the sauce and cucumber pieces.
500g Self-Rising Flour
100g Cheddar Cheese
5g Fresh Herbs
1x can of Beer (Preferably Windhoek lager)
- Prepare an indirect fire and fit a foil drip pan between the coals.
- Mix self-rising flour, salt, fresh herbs and cheese together. Add can of beer and mix together DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Grease a bread tin using spray and cook. Pour contents into bread tin
- Fit bread tin inside Centre of the Weber. Close the lid and cook for 35-40 min
Don’t miss Tommy Dickson/Chef Vaatjie’s braai workshop direct from the 2017 Pretoria HOMEMAKERS Expo.